Go to content Go to menu
 


2022-09-08

Buben Castle

Buben is a castle ruin in the district of Plzeň-sever in the cadastral territory of the municipality of Plešnice. It stands on an elongated promontory above the confluence of the Mže River and the Plešnické Stream at an altitude of approximately 350 meters. ¨The first written mention of the castle dates back to 1349. That's when the name of the castle appears in a charter of King Charles IV. However, according to the preserved architectural details, the castle was probably built about 15 years earlier, i.e. just after the first third of the 14th century. However, it is possible that the castle is of an even older date. Apparently, already in the first half of the 14th century, the owners of the castle were the knights of Buben´s from Hrádek, while the castle in their name was actually Buben Castle. Before 1379, the family of knights from Nečtiny became the owner of the estate and castle. According to their new seat, historians today call them the Nečtin´s family from Buben. The family kept Buben as their seat for a long time and expanded the castle. The Buben family from Hrádek later split into two lines, namely the knights and barons of Varlichy´s from Buben and the still-living counts of Buben from Litice.

images--2-.jpg


In 1471, Buben was bought by the knight Petr Chlumčanský from Přestavlki, and the Nečtinský family disappears from the history of the castle. Shortly afterwards (around 1483), Mrs. Jitka from Nečtiny dies. The new owners, the Chlumčansky family from Přestavlky, owned the castle and the manor until 1563, when they sold the manor to the neighboring knightly family of Úlický from Plešnice and Úlice. Even during the reign of Chlumčansky from Přestavlky, the estate was divided into two parts. In the first half of the 16th century, the Chlumčansky family began to reside in more comfortable fortresses and castles in the vicinity, and the less accessible and cramped castle therefore began to deteriorate relatively quickly. In 1567, Buben is listed in the possession of the Knights of Úlicky from Plešnice and Úlice as definitely deserted. In the following centuries, the abandoned castle fell into disrepair only gradually, as it was not significantly dismantled due to its remoteness. Only the more valuable sandstone parts, such as window and door linings or large stones that originally decorated the corner, were removed from the building.

by Milan Novobilský

The castle grounds without moats are roughly 100 meters long and 30-40 meters wide at most. The headland, surrounded by the Mží River and the Plešnický Stream in the southeast, is oriented in the northwest-southeast direction.

To this day, the small remains of the first gate on the south-eastern forecourt, the remains of the third gate, large parts of the ramparts and walls of the castle core itself (except for the guard tower at the entrance, which stood on a separate south-western rock) and partly also the tower-like palace in the back north-western part of the castle have been preserved. Basically only the foundations remain of the adjacent small palace in the courtyard. Longer sections of the fence wall are also partially preserved (mainly on the eastern side). However, in April 2013, this part of the fortification was affected by the collapse of the masonry and is seriously damaged. On the south-eastern side of the promontory, there is a neck ditch in front of the former first gate, over which a wooden bridge originally led. The moat is cut in the rock and forms an interesting gorge through which the path from Plešnice enters the castle grounds.