Go to content Go to menu
 


2020-05-03

Cheb Castle

Around 900, a Slavic castle stood on a spur above the Ohře river, the foundations of which came to light in 1900 during an excavation under the Cheb city archivist and museum director Karl Siegl. Around 1120, the surrounding region Egerland was part of the Nordgau (Bavaria), was under Margrave Diepold III. from Vohburg, when built a castle. Egerland was inherited by the Stauf family in 1167. From 1179, after the first stay of the Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa in the imperial city of Eger (Cheb), the castle complex was expanded to the Imperial Palace. The impressive Romanesque palace, the Black Tower and the double chapel St. Martin were built until 1189. The upper chapel of St. Erhard and St. Ursula was realised from 1180 to 1220.

800px-cheb-blick-vom-schwarzen-turm.jpg

chapel St. Martin and the palace


 After the end of the Staufs family period, the Egerland was pledged to the King of Bohemia, who used the Eger Castle until 1471 for festivities and representation. Then the city of Eger, secured by a city wall with guarded gates, again became the owner of the Castle. After a fire in 1472, the buildings in the living and entrance areas were converted.

 

During the Thirty Years' War in 1634, Wilhelm Kinsky and his brother-in-law Adam Erdmann Trčka von Lípa, the faithful to Generalissimo Wallenstein, were murdered in the Eger Castle. 

800px-burg_eger_1790.jpg

in 17th century

In 1675 the conversion of the castle complex to a citadel on the border of the Kingdom of Bohemia under the Habsburgs began, which was completed in 1713.  until the town regained ownership of the castle in 1895 and repair work was carried out. The castle in Eger survived the First World War and was spared war damage when the city of Eger was bombed at the end of the Second World War in May 1945. Today the complex is a popular tourist destination, of historical and art historical interest.

Impressive parts of the Imperial Palace of the Staufer, built in the Romanesque style, have been preserved. It is the outer walls of the palace with multi-part late Romanesque arcades that give an idea of ​​the importance of this hall.

The “Black Tower”, the keep of the imperial palace, clad with hump blocks made of basalt, is the oldest building in the complex and was a prison tower for political prisoners. The wall thickness on the ground floor is 3.16 meters. In 1774 the tower was raised. This floor is made of quarry stones and is clearly colored in contrast to the black basalt stone. The tower is 18.5 meters high.

unnamed--10-.jpg

city plan with castle (on left, down)

The double chapel of the Kaiserpfalz, one of the few surviving structures from the times of the Roman-German emperors, is largely intact in terms of construction. The ground floor, the Chapel of St. Martin in the Romanesque style, is divided into eight cross vaulted fields supported by four granite columns. It was the common room for the emperor's court during church services. In the middle of the ceiling, an octagonal opening connects the lower chapel with the upper chapel, which was dedicated to St. Erhard and St. Ursula and was reserved for the imperial family. The cross-vaulted vault of the upper chapel is supported by white marble columns and shows the transition from late Romanesque to early Gothic art-historically.

unnamed--11-.jpg

St. Martin chapele, the second floor


There is an archaeological collection of finds from the Egerland in the castle.

 

cheb_kaple_menclova.jpg

by Dobroslava Menclová