Go to content Go to menu
 


2020-02-23

Dobronice Castle

 

About 6 kilometres north-east of Bechyně, on a hilly rock above the river Lužnice, there is a Gothic castle originating from the early 14th century. The most significant owners of the castle were the Rožmberks who had it expanded at the beginning of the 16th century. Later on the castle was used as a summer residence for the Jesuit College of St. Kliment from the Old Town of Prague, but after the Jesuits left the castle in 1727, it fell into disrepair. Nowadays you find romantic ruins of walls and a dominant round tower on the site. The tower is visible from far away and in its shadow there is a camping site where canoeists floating down the Lužnice River or hikers tramping through the region can stay overnight.

The oldest Dobronice-castle could be placed into examples of classical bergfrit dis position. Castle ruin, placed on rocky headland over Lužnice-river in an altitude of 440 metres above sea level, is distant 6 kms from small town of Bechyně, in north-east direction. So, Dobronice village was established at the end of 12th century, and the castle was built two hundred years later. Shortly after its foundation, the original owners sold it to than Divis. His descendands kept the castle till the beginning of 15th century. Consequently, the castle owners changed several times, and despite the fact that Rožumbrk (Rosenberg) family got it for short time period, great changes came with John and Andrew of Rzavá. The dominion obtained Gothic face. Further owners, Hozlauer Parentage, administrated it quite well, and the castle was very prosperous after long time period.

45166558934_c44152fa86.jpg

Howe ver, all sons of Christopher Hozlauer  participated in active way the estate uprising. This fact caused property confiscation later. Bohuslav, one of brothers, scraped necessary money with difficulties, in order to safe the property, however, he died in the course of his efforts. The castle came into possession of Jesuits Order. They omnifariously used it as their summer residence till 1727, when they moved their centre to the community of Opařany, and the castle remained abandoned. Anyway, till  this Order closure in 1773, the castle was well kept. However, the administrator Halwinger let the castle demolished and the building became delapidated. Today, the castle dominates not only conic tower, but there were preserved also rests of castle palace of 14th century, inhabitated buildings and a chapel.