Go to content Go to menu
 


2020-04-23

Kašperk Castle

Kašperk Castle was founded in 1356 by the Emperor and Czech King Charles IV. In order to protect the Czech borders. Historians believe that the castle was built for three reasons. The first by reason safety the Czech border  against Bavaria. Secondly, the location of the castle was chosen so as to allow absolute control over the area rich in the gold near the town of Kašperské Hory. The third reason for building the castle was that Kašperk lay on a path called the "Golden Road" on the trade route connecting Bohemia (Czech Land) and Bavaria.

The castle was given over to the king's pledge holders. The architecture of the palace was designed to give the castle the utmost security and ability to function as a stronghold.

The Kašperk Castle's first pledge holder were the second archbishop of Prague Jan Očko of Vlašim. From 1411–1454 Kašperk Castle was in possession of Peter Zmrzlík of Svojšín and from Orlík Castle and his son Peter. Peter Zmrzlík and his son were followers of Utraquism, they has supported  the Hussits.

unnamed--6-.jpg

During the mid-15th century ownership of the Kašperk Castle passed of the powerful family of Šternberk. Zdeněk of Šternberk lead in 1465 an armed revolt against King George of Poděbrady. The garrison  readied themselves against an onslaught by the king's forces. For a order to bolster their defenses, a small fortress was hastily constructed. Ruins around 400 metres to the castle's east are believed to be the remains of that fortress.

The castle is in property of the Town of Kašperské Hory since 1616.