Go to content Go to menu


Stara Duba Castle and Odranec town

The ruins of Stará Dubá Castle stand on a wooded rocky promontory on the left bank of the Sázava River west of Chocerad in the Benešov district at the Central Bohemian Region. Not much of the relatively large castle of high quality has been preserved. To this day, the masonry of a large building in the former castle courtyard, the remains of the enclosure wall, the torso of the castle chapel of St. Clement and the back of the masonry of the four-winged palace with a window opening. The castle ruins are freely accessible.


The early Gothic castle was founded in the second half of the 13th century by the Beneš  family, who then wrote from Dubá. At the beginning of the 15th century, the castle was the seat of the robber knight Jan Zúl of Ostředek, so in 1404 the castle was conquered by an army of land cash. In 1466, when Dubá Castle was the property of Bohuš Kostka of Postupice, the castle was besieged and demolished by the army of King George of Poděbrady. The castle did not recover from this morning, the owners were not interested in its restoration, and therefore it remained in ruins. In 1525, the castle is listed as desolate. The name Stará Dubá first appears in 1648.


by Jan Heřman

The town of Odranec served as the Old Dubá fort. Its exact disposition is unknown. It probably had two gates, part of one of which has survived to this day. The road to another unpreserved gate ran through the town - the settlement then stretched along this road. This castle complex is exceptional in the Czech lands and can perhaps only be compared with a similar arrangement in Příběnice. The compex almost compares to the royal buildings in terms of complexity and was exceptional in its time (2nd half of the 13th century). The town probably disappeared together with the castle after 1446, when the castle was besieged by the troops of George of Podebrady. The siege site has also been preserved from this period.