Go to content Go to menu
 


2022-08-15

Věžka Castle

Lukas Hanzl

Věžka Castle is a castle ruin half a kilometer east of the village of Druztová in the district of Pilsen-sever in the Pilsen Region. It is located on a rocky hill above the left bank of the Berounka river at an altitude of 310 meters.

full_1b0a7d_144998.jpg

The builder of the castle, Racek from Švamberk, was the son of Ratmír and his wife Žižka. In 1351, from which the first written mention of the castle comes, he is remembered for the first time on Věžka, where he lived until the end of his life. At that time, the villages of Druztová and Dolany belonged to the Věžka estate. Racek had the church of St. Mary Magdalene and rectory west of the castle built in memory of his first wife Maria. With his second wife Ofka, he had sons Hynek, Bušek and Ješek. After Racka's death in 1377, his sons ceded the castle to Otík from Chrást, who opposed King Wenceslas IV, whose army besieged Věžka in 1405 and forced the garrison to capitulate after a six-month siege in the spring of 1406.

stazeny-soubor--2-.jpg

Otík later regained the castle and before 1410 it was inherited by his son Petr from Chrást, who added Třemošná to the estate. The possession of Třemošná was confirmed by King Zikmund in 1420 and he also gave him Nynice. Shortly after that, however, Petr switched to the Hussite party. In 1422, Sigismund took the estate away from him and attributed it to the city of Pilsen. But in 1434, Petr z Chrást held Věžka again and ceded it to Přibík z Klenová. The castle disappeared in 1478, when it was captured and destroyed by the army of Mathyas Corvín.

th_vezka.jpg

In the years 1962–1972 the academic painter Václav Uchytil, together with children from the historical circle from Pilsen (the circle at the House of Pioneers and the ZPČ Museum in Pilsen), removed the previously collapsed masonry and built an access road. A large number of finds (shards and whole vessels) are stored in the depository of the ZPČ Museum. However, the newly exposed masonry was not statically secured, and a larger part of it therefore disappeared.

v____ka_i.png


Floor plan of the castle, 1 and 2 - the oldest construction phase; 3 to 5 - younger medieval building phases; 6 - destroyed blocks of the perimeter wall; 7 - masonry from the 1960s; dashed outline of the survey archaeological probe Durdík 2000, p. 591, fig. 1273
 

The construction site of the castle was approximately oval and extended in a north-south direction. In the central part, they stood on both sides of the building. South of the western building was a gate protected by a rampart. We do not know the development of the northern part of the forecourt. The core of the castle was represented by the donjon at the highest point of the castle, and a large palace with a cellar adjoined it. There was a small "parkan" in the plain east of the gate. The "Parkan" is the space between the outer and inner fortification, it strengthened the protection of the main wall.

About 100 m north of the castle there is a promontory fortified with a rampart. It is possible that it was a fortification related to a siege, but due to its massiveness, it was more likely an advanced bastion.