Go to content Go to menu
 


Templars in Bohemia

The Templars came to Bohemia and Moravia in the 30s of the 13th century, perhaps in 1232. Nevertheless, during their 80-year tenure here, they built up four commanderies - in Uhříněvs, Jamolice, Čejkovice and Templštejn Castle.In Prague, they owned the church of St.  Laurentius with surrounding houses. They had a commandery in Uhříněvs near Prague, but we do not know when they settled here. In Moravia, their presence is mapped a little better. The first indirect mention of them dates from 1241 in connection with the Tatar invasion of Silesia, the Battle of Lehnice and the subsequent campaign across Moravia to Hungary. This event concerns the commandery in Čejkovice. Documents from 1242 also testify to the presence of the Templars. According to them, Bohuslav of Bukova donated the settlement of Olší to the Templar Order based in Jamolice for the fact that the Templar Kuno saved his life in a battle with the Tatars. In a document issued in Znojmo in 1298, it is stated that the Jamolic brothers moved to the newly built Templštejn castle near Jamolic. The commandery in Čejkovice was the most important Templar property in our country. Its construction was started here by the Templars in the 40s of the 13th century. In the same period, a deed of the Břeclav prince Oldřich was also issued, in which he mentions his donation of four homesteads in Rakvice to the Templars in Čejkovice. The end of the Templars in Bohemia is unclear and shrouded in fog.
 

640x480_sfwgwr.jpg

In 1279, knights founded the Templštejn castle on the river Jihlava near Jamolic. The original building of the castle was only 30 x 40 m, but over time it expanded and became the headquarters of the commandery. It was never conquered, but apparently disappeared after a great fire. Templštejn belongs to the type of so-called castles with a mantle wall (rampart). It is therefore a towerless castle, the entire weight of the defense is borne by the massive outer wall.

images.png

Another Templar Castle was Veveří Castle near Brno. The traditional feudal castle was supposed to have been owned by the Templars during the reign of Wenceslas II, that is, shortly before the end of the order. Legend has it that the Templars, together with the nuns of the Porta Coeli Monastery, hid life-size all-silver statues of the apostles underground! In 1782, alleged Templar documents were to be found, for which the owner of the castle, Prosper from Sinzendorf, had the treasure searched for. It is said that a cellar with coffins was discovered, but without treasure. 

stazeny-soubor--2-.jpg