Go to content Go to menu

Hillfort Bukovec and the Mounds "Černá mýť"

Hillfort Bukovec


Bukovec is a prehistoric and early medieval fortified settlement near the town of the same name on the eastern edge of Pilsen. The Hillfort was first fortified in the late Hallstatt period. At the end of the eighth century AD, the Slavs used the remains of prehistoric fortifications, which they rebuilt. The locality remained inhabited during the ninth century and perhaps disappeared in connection with the development of the fortified settlement near Starý Plzenec. 

Hilarius Litoměřický probably mentioned Bukovec Hillfort as the place of the original Pilsen in his sermon from 1467. It was professionally researched after 1836, when it was discovered by the mining prospectors of Count Kašpar of Šternberk. Five years later, Franz Xaver Maxmilian Zippe published the first plan. 



Rudolf Turek dated the found ceramic fragments mainly to the seventh to ninth century. A smaller part of the finds comes from the Hallstatt period. In addition to ceramics, a number of iron objects (knives, a hook with a hook, a double-winged arrow with a sleeve), tools made of bones or antlers, a pearl made of green glass and various ceramic or claystone whorls were found on the fort. 

The two-part fortified settlement with a total area of ​​4.15 hectares is located on the promontory of Holý vrch above  of the bank of the "Berounka" river. The inner fortified settlement was protected by a massive rampart up to four meters high. Behind him was a platform called the "Acropolis". The other sides were protected by steep slopes and, according to the preserved terraces, also by some light fortifications.


"Černá mýť" mounds

Significant mound burial ground with mounds from the Middle Bronze Age and Late and Hallstatt Period up to Early La Tène Period. The mounds (approx. 55 mounds) lie in the west - east belt on a slight slope to the west. From the north, the mounds are delimited by a deep terrain notch. The mounds are low (up to 0.5 m) and higher (up to 2 m), with a diameter of about 10-20 m. A significant part of the mounds has already been dug (the remains are the central shafts ). North of the mounds, in the forest, there are visible bundles of  roads.


source: https://pamatkovykatalog.cz/mohylnik-cerna-myt-15043037